Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Procession of the Dead

Ok, so I've been feeling really guilty about not posting, so I decided to cheat and look up an old review that I'd already done to try and relieve my conscience. I found a brief review (more of a synopsis really) I did of Procession of the Dead, which I have bought to book club, for the Calgary Herald around April 2008. YIKES! That's two years ago already! Do I pass?... (an apologies for the atrocious grammar in the above sentence. I'm tired, ok?)

When discussing it later, I think I may have been overly harsh in my critique of this book, as 'ol D.B.'s publicists tried to liken him to My Darling Gaiman, and D.B. should tell them not to do that, as no one can live up to Him. The book is worth a read, I guess...

Procession of the Dead

D.B. Shan

D.B. Shan's revision of his first book in The City Trilogy, Procession of the Dead, starts as a cliché yarn about wannabe-gangster Capac Raimi who comes to the city to find his fortune in the underworld. Quickly he is snapped up by The Cardinal, the nefarious kingpin of the city, and a fantastic story of mystical intrigue unfolds as a friend of Capac's goes missing and Capac discovers there's no evidence he ever existed. The mystery spurs him on in a quest to find out about inexplicable lapses in his own memories, and, in the process, he learns the unbelievable truth about how the Cardinal keeps his hold on the city. The story, told from Capac's point of view, is filled with colourful characters, imaginative details and a compelling storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment